Easy Breezy

Easy Breezy
Being creative every day and making it look Easy Breezy!

Monday, August 22, 2011

Time to Make the Cookies

The teachers I work with came over the other day to decorate cookies and to have a pre-planning meeting.  We start school next week with open house on Tuesday.  I always like to have a little something for the kids to walk away with at open house, so I make my yummy sugar cookies.  The other teachers liked the idea of the cookies, so I invited them to my house to decorate cookies for their classes too. 

I got my sugar cookie recipe many years ago from a little old lady named Miss Jo.  She shared her recipe with me so I will share it with you!

1 cup margarine (2 sticks)                                     1 egg
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar                                   1 tsp vanilla

Cream the margarine, sugar, egg and vanilla until smooth.

2 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
1tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Cream of Tartar

Add the rest of the ingredients (add the flour 1/2 cup at the time, unless you like having flour slung all over your kitchen!).  Mix until well blended.  Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for two hours or overnight.  Roll dough to desired thickness and cut into shapes.  Bake on an ungreased baking sheet at 375 degrees for 7-10 min.



After the cookies have cooled completely I ice them with my easy breezy icing.

One box confectioners sugar
Water

I add the water a tablespoon at a time until I get it to the consistancy of pancake batter.   It's more trial and error with the icing.  If it's too thin it will run off the cookie.  Too thick and it won't spread and level out evenly.


I make a big apple shaped cookie for my class but other teachers that have themes for their classroom make cookies to go along with that, like fish, or puppies or monkeys.  I like the apples for back to school.  I make the cookies ahead of time so all we have to do is ice them.  When they are dry I put them in clear treat bags tied with ribbon.

Tomorrow is the big day!  I hope the kids like their cookies and their new teacher!

Join me here:


                                                                        Sundae Scoop

                                                                          It's A Party
       


5 comments:

  1. Thanks again Wren and thanks for posting this recipe! Your cookies are awesome! I'm excited about Open House tomorrow...I know the kids are going to love the cookies and hopefully they will love this teacher too. :)

    I don't know why it's "making" me post as anon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry...the last comment was from me, Jennifer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know your students love the cookies and you. Have a great school year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What cute cookies!! I would love for you to link up to It’s a Party on Thursday (actually, it starts tonight)!
    www.acreativeprincess.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will use this to make cookies for my teacher. . . I am 10 years old

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment - I love hearing from y'all!

view sourceprint? 01 09 10